Thursday, October 31, 2013

#198. Rosemary's Baby

"Witches... All of them witches!"

How coincidental is it that the first horror film I watch from the top 250 ends up being on Halloween?! Not too impressive actually, because I planned it this way, but regardless, it was quite fitting. This 1968 film is about a newly wedded young woman who becomes unexpectedly pregnant. As strange, unexplained events become more and more frequent as her pregnancy progresses, she gradually gets more paranoid about the safety of her unborn baby and the intentions of the people around her.

One thing I really enjoyed about this movie was its interesting plot. There were many twists and turns that I never saw coming, and I had a lot of fun trying to figure out what was going to happen next. Rosemary and Guy's neighbors Minnie and Roman were great, and gave the movie an appropriate amount of creepiness.

Even though the film was fairly entertaining and I'm glad I got to see it, I have to admit that I felt somewhat disappointed after it ended. I deliberately waited until it was around the time of Halloween to watch it, and I didn't find it that scary. One of the genres IMDB lists for it is "horror", but it never ended up scaring me as much as I wanted it to. Maybe it has to do with my belief that horror films have gotten progressively scarier over the years, or maybe I'm desensitized from the likes of recent movies such as "You're Next" and "The Conjuring", where shocking gore scenes are implemented almost to an excess, but I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by this one. I think I'd categorize it as more of a suspense/mystery than anything else.

Because I was still entertained and I enjoyed the suspense that the movie did have to offer, my immediate rating is a 7/10.

Characters: 6.5/10
Acting: 6.8/10
Storyline: 7/10
Entertainment Value: 7.3/10
Immediate Rating: 7/10

Total Score: 34.6/50

No comments:

Post a Comment