Monday, October 21, 2013

#202. King Kong

"We'll give him more than chains. He's always been king of his world, but we'll teach him fear. We're millionaires, boys. I'll share it with all of you. Why, in a few months, it'll be up in lights on Broadway: Kong, the Eighth Wonder of the World."

A film crew and a young woman sail to a mysterious island in order to capture exclusive footage. Little do they know the dangers that await them in the depths of their remote destination.

Wow! This movie was unlike any that I've seen before. It's probably one of the oldest that I've ever watched, and was a unique mixture of adventure, romance, and suspense. The first half of the film was mainly plot set up and getting familiarized with the characters, and the second half was pure action. I found it a lot easier to pay attention during the first half, most likely due to my fondness of character development in every movie I watch. There was none of that in the second half of King Kong.

One aspect of the film that I did think was neat was the special effects. Though movies have undoubtedly come a long way since 1933, it's interesting to see what was considered breath-taking production, as well as what was considered a thriller, in this time period. The plot was interesting at times, the acting was sufficient, and the quality of special effects was great for its day, but overall, this movie isn't one that I would normally watch for entertainment. If I were to refine the film to my liking, Ann and John's romance wouldn't have been a sudden juncture, but instead a slow progression. The reckless and fame-seeking personality of Carl Denham would have also been explored a little more.

Despite its flaws, I'm glad this movie is on the top 250. I've heard countless references to King Kong throughout my lifetime, and at the very least, I can now say that I've seen this classic. A 6.5 is my immediate rating.

Characters: 6.3/10
Acting: 6.7/10
Storyline: 6/10
Entertainment Value: 6/10
Immediate Rating: 6.5/10

Total Score: 31.5/50

No comments:

Post a Comment