Saturday, October 26, 2013

#200. Harvey

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

Elwood P. Dowd is the friendliest man around, always accompanied by a six-foot rabbit he calls Harvey. His family believes he belongs in a psychiatric institution, but it turns out Elwood might not be so crazy after all.

This is somewhat of a strange movie, but I enjoyed it. Since it was recorded way before my time, I found it somewhat hard to relate to and lost interest during a couple of scenes. I actually chose to watch it for the second time today, because I first saw it last December, and put off writing a review on it for so long that I couldn't remember much. I liked it more this time, as I was better able to understand its meaning.

The main concept that I take away from this movie is that of contentment. Though Elwood Dowd is considered crazy by his whole family, he is the only one who's happy. He's charismatic, optimistic, and never worries about anything. In Mr. Dowd's delusion, he is truly content. On the other hand, the members of his family that consider themselves normal are erratic and bitter. They care about everyone's perception of them, and even though they think rationally and see the world the way it is, they will be never happy with it nor feel peace within themselves.

63 years after its release, the lesson from this movie still rings true. There is a such a thing as being realistic to the point of misery. This is confirmed by the behavior of Mr. Doud's family, most particularly Veta and Myrtle May. Elwood's child-like spirit and imagination shield him from the negativity of those around him, and he is never lonely due to the company of his best friend Harvey. Not to mention, the music and ambiance fit the movie like a glove. Just a good old-timey film. And though the plot is somewhat slow, its message is great. I give it a 7/10.

Characters: 6.9/10
Acting: 6.8/10
Storyline: 6.9/10
Entertainment Value: 6.5/10
Immediate Rating: 7/10

Total Score: 34.1/50

No comments:

Post a Comment