Tuesday, October 22, 2013

#201. Big Fish

"There comes a point when any reasonable man will swallow his pride and admit he made a mistake. The truth is... I was never a reasonable man."

Edward Bloom likes to refer to himself as a "big fish in a small pond". To his son's skepticism, the elderly Ed Bloom depicts his life from birth to young adulthood, and leaves out no details of his vivacious adventures and the enchanting individuals he meets along the way.

I am quite impressed with Tim Burton with this one, and am a little bit surprised that he directed it, besides the fact that Helena Bonham Carter was in it. It was a bit more normal than his other films.

I adored every experience that Ed Bloom had. It's very similar to Forrest Gump and the Curious Case of Benjamin Button in how it follows the life of an unconventional man. The main male character in each had a long, incredible life journey, spent younger years in a rural area, went to war, etc. I honestly think I like the tales of Big Fish the most though. All of the characters that Ed Bloom encounters are so interesting, and his adventures are refreshing and inspiring. I love how Bloom made all his greatest memories from taking chances and doing what he felt was right, the best way to live. 
Another aspect I really love about this movie is that there are so many notable scenes. As I was looking through pictures to find which one to use for this review, it took me a long time to decide which one to choose to capture the heart of this movie, because there were tons. Edward Bloom's character is brilliant, and whether his stories are meant to be seen as true or false is irrelevant; they have the unique ability to speak to the soul of any person who watches this movie.

I always tend to like these kind of life story/feel-good films, and this one was no exception. It was somewhat far-fetched and indescribably sad, but still managed to feel genuine and magical. My attention was captured the entire time. 8.4/10.

Characters: 8.5/10
Acting: 8.3/10
Storyline: 8.5/10
Entertainment Value: 8.3/10
Immediate Rating: 8.4/10

Total Score: 42/50

No comments:

Post a Comment