Wednesday, July 6, 2011

#225. La Strada


"I don't know for what this pebble is useful, but it must be useful. For if its useless, everything is useless. So are the stars!"

A girl named Gelsomina (Giulietta Masina) is sold to the traveling artist Zapanò (Anthony Quinn) when her journey on the road begins. She helps Zapanò with his circus shows, but is constantly finding herself feeling abused and neglected by him. She later meets a tight rope walker known as "The Fool", and falls in love with his charm and compassion for her. She must choose between the two, as her life in the circus continues.

I didn't expect to like this movie at all, because I'm not really into foreign films and having to read captions for a long period of time, but I found myself pleasantly surprised with this movie. I became quite into the story and how it would end as the movie progressed. Gelsomina's character completely touched my heart with her innocent and curious spirit, and the final scene of the film was very touching as well. Anthony Quinn does a fantastic job at playing Zapanò, a strong and animalistic man that barely shows any concern for others. He does unveil emotion in a few parts of the film, namely when he's jealous of "The Fool" and Gelsomina's connection and at the very end where he finally learns his lesson.

I thought that the beginning scenes where somewhat slow and uneventful, but as I kept watching, I got used to director Federico Fellini's film style and found that simplicity is what makes this movie what it is. It's not what I find state of the art entertainment, but I can see why other movie watchers see it as that. My immediate rating is a 6.9/10.

Characters: 6.8/10
Acting: 7/10
Storyline: 7/10
Entertainment Value: 6.8/10
Immediate Rating: 6.9/10

Total Score: 34.5/50

No comments:

Post a Comment