Sunday, July 10, 2011

#222. Duck Soup


"Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you."

The country of Freedonia isn't doing well finacially, so wealthy widow Mrs. Teasdale agrees to give 20 million dollars if  
Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) is appointed as its new leader. Then when a neighboring state sends spies Pinky and Chicolini (Harpo and Chico Marx), circumstances only get worse.

I thought this movie was absolutely horrible, and there is one word that can explain why: overacting. I honestly felt like I was watching 
a high school play. The plot was pointless, and the Freedonia song was excruciating to listen to. I was very thankful that it was only a little over an hour in length, because I don't think I could have endured watching it longer than that. There were a few scenes that I did enjoy somewhat, like the hat switch up in front of the lemonade stand, but I thought most of it was just stupid. To give this film a little credit, I'm probably too young and too inexperienced in the realm of old movies to enjoy or appreciate it.

I was looking at some reviews and noticed that most people that hated this movie had never seen a Marx Brothers 
film before, and everyone who loved the movie was a big Marx fan. This applies to me as well. I had never seen a Marx movie before this one, and I doubt that I will ever watch another one. I understand that this movie is extremely old, and not much was expected of the quality of movies in the 1930's, but I don't believe that calls for lower standards. My main belief is that a movie's purpose is to be entertaining, and I thought this film was boring. Because of that, my immediate rating is a 2.5/10.

Characters: 3.4/10
Acting: 2.5/10
Storyline: 1.8/10
Entertainment Value: 2/10
Immediate Rating: 2.5/10

Total Score: 12.2/50

No comments:

Post a Comment