Tuesday, July 12, 2011

#220. Bonnie and Clyde


"This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

In the time of the Great Depression, Bonnie (Faye Dunaway) and Clyde (Warren Beatty) meet and become the most lovable criminals America has ever known.

I was kind of taken aback by the civilian murders committed by the duo at the beginning of the movie, and wondered how I would 
ever connect with characters that were so relentless. I even felt sorry for the police officer they tied up beside the pond. But as the film progressed, I grew more and more fond of the Barrow Gang, and increasingly against all authority that was trying to stop them. So much so that near the end, I thought of every police officer killed as a victory. I had the same mind set as they did, the perspective of an outright criminal. I felt like I personally knew the Barrow Gang, and I didn't want my friends to get hurt. That just goes to show how much this movie can pull a viewer in.

What I loved most about this film was the portrayal of Bonnie and Clyde's relationship. Their love seemed extremely genuine and 
almost had a child-like innocence despite their dangerous lifestyle. It's very rare to see a love like that perfectly portrayed in film, and for that alone Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and director Arthur Penn should have each gotten an Academy Award. I pretty much adored every single character, with the exception of Blanche. I thought that Estelle Parsons' acting was a little overbearing, and I was very surprised and disappointed to see that she was the only actor to receive an award for this movie.

I have a good feeling that I will buy this film and watch it quite a few more times, because I find it entertaining and incredibly 
charming. My immediate rating is an 8.4/10.

Characters: 8.5/10
Acting: 7.9/10
Storyline: 7.7/10
Entertainment Value: 8.5/10
Immediate Rating: 8.4/10

Total Score: 41/50

No comments:

Post a Comment