Friday, July 8, 2011

#223. Manhattan


"They probably sit around on the floor with wine and cheese, and mispronounce allegorical and didacticism."

Isaac, a divorced New Yorker, is dating a 17 year old girl. He soon finds that he is more interested in his best friend's mistress, and decides to try and pursue her instead.

I really liked this movie in some ways, and in other ways I didn't. For one, the views of Manhattan were absolutely stunning. I visited NY about two months ago, and loved seeing landmarks such as the Museum of Natural History and Central Park again in this film. It just goes to show how timeless New York City is. What I didn't like about this film was that watching it was pretty much a waste of time, because I didn't learn anything from it or get anything out of it. Sure, it was somewhat entertaining, but I doubt that I will remember anything about it five years from now.

I thought the characters were really interesting, Isaac and Tracy being my favorites, and Mary being my least favorite actually. I don't think that it was Diane Keaton's acting that was the issue, but more so the trite personality and cheesy lines she had to say through out, as she played the character of a woman with "problems" or whatever. That scheme has just been done too many times for it to still be endearing. However, I thought Mariel Hemingway's character as Tracy was fantastic in this movie. She was so charming, and her emotion during the break up scene was heart breaking, and really showed her ability as an actress.
My immediate rating is a 7/10.

Characters: 7/10
Acting: 7.2/10
Storyline: 6.4/10
Entertainment Value: 7.3/10
Immediate Rating: 7/10

Total Score: 27.8/50

No comments:

Post a Comment