Thursday, July 7, 2011

#224. Planet of the Apes


"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

Astronaut Taylor and two others' ship crashes on an unknown planet that is ruled by smart apes that are able to talk and reason. A primitive race of humans are regularly hunted by them, and Taylor soon finds himself among them. He is then locked away, and his efforts begin as he tries to prove his intelligence and worth as an individual to the unforgiving apes.

This movie was definitely not what I expected. It was way way better. I didn't expect the apes to be as intelligent as humans are now, or for the classic evolution theory to be presented vise versa, etc. I thought it would be more of a thriller between the astronauts trying to escape from monkeys that took over the planet and bla bla bla. Eh, I was wrong, but thankfully so. The special effects in this movie are pretty laughable compared to today's (plane crashing into the water scene, the "lightning"), but of course, this movie is from 1968, and not much is to be expected in that aspect. I do admit that the makeup is very impressive, and I loved how the apes looked. What I didn't like about the movie was that the other two astronauts were killed off very quickly, and there were a few characters who were just undeveloped.

But what really got me the most was that I didn't understand how the big twist at the end was such a shock, and neither did my boyfriend who was watching it with me. I realize now that it's not the movie's fault at all, but it's because the main picture for "Planet of the Apes" on the IDMB page (as well as the DVD cover) is of the last scene, giving away everything. I never really paid attention to the picture much because I didn't know its significance at the time, but subliminally, I think it spoiled the whole movie for us. I was reading some other reviews online about this that say the shock value is what makes the movie so great, and now I'm just kind of pissed because we got gypped out of the surprise ending. Thanks again, IMDB!

Besides that, I did really enjoy this movie, and thought it had a really unique concept. My immediate rating is a 7.5/10.

Characters: 6.6/10
Acting: 7.5/10
Storyline: 7.3/10
Entertainment Value: 7.5/10
Immediate Rating: 7.2/10

Total Score: 36.1/50

No comments:

Post a Comment