Monday, April 28, 2014

#191. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

The Woman from the City tries to convince her lover, the Man, to drown his wife so they can be together, but being close to committing such a drastic act causes the Man to realize how much he truly loves his wife.

Wow, I didn't expect another silent movie to come up on the Top 250 so soon! The actors in Sunrise are not as expressive as those in The Kid, another silent Top 250 movie that I recently watched, but they still do a great job. The music also aids the movie in portraying emotions of characters as well as adding the appropriate ambiance to particular scenes.

After seeing the first thirty minutes of the film, I was confused as to why romance was even one of its listed genres, but I understood after watching it a little bit longer. There are several twists throughout the movie, refreshing the plot whenever it is becoming dull. Despite this, I checked the time far too much to be able to call this movie entertaining. That can likely be attributed to the black and white screen and no dialogue, something that I just can't seem to get used to. Nevertheless, the storyline ends up being incredibly touching, and I found myself smiling on multiple occasions. The film demonstrates how true love is safe and unfading, rather than what the media often portrays as love, which is something reckless and unpredictable. My immediate rating is 6.8/10.

Characters: 6.5/10
Acting: 7.2/10
Storyline: 6.9/10
Entertainment Value: 6/10
Immediate Rating: 6.8/10

Total Score: 33.4/50

No comments:

Post a Comment