Saturday, April 26, 2014

#193. The Kid

An unmarried mother leaves behind her newborn baby in hopes someone else could take care of him. When "The Tramp", played by Charlie Chaplin, finds the abandoned child on the side of the street, he takes him in and raises him as his own.

This was the first silent movie I've ever seen. I never thought I would be able to follow the storyline of a silent movie because hand gestures and facial expressions are virtually the movie viewer's only cues, but I didn't have trouble following this film at all. The actors were fantastic, especially Chaplin, who was evidently born to do silent films. I also didn't expect the film to be as entertaining as it was. There were several scenes were I laughed out loud; particularly when the Tramp wears his blanket as clothing (the original Snuggie!) and the "fight" scene. Chaplin's mannerisms are just naturally hilarious. The film also had its sad parts too, making it a well-rounded piece. It was touching to see the great lengths that the Tramp went to for a child that wasn't biologically his, demonstrating the power of unconditional love.

All in all, this movie is really great. Though I would not expect old silent films to be my favorite to watch, this particular one had top-notch acting and an equally enticing storyline with its comedic as well as melancholic undertones. My immediate rating is a 7.4/10.

Characters: 7.4/10
Acting: 8/10
Storyline: 7.4/10
Entertainment Value: 7.3/10
Immediate Rating: 7.4/10

Total Score: 37.5/50

No comments:

Post a Comment