Monday, April 28, 2014

#192. The Best Years of Our Lives

"You know, I had a dream. I dreamt I was home. I've had that same dream hundreds of times before. This time, I wanted to find out if it's really true. Am I really home?"

Three World War II veterans return home to Boone City after three years in war. Fred, an airman, has hard luck finding a job to suit his skills and faces marital discord. Soldier Al must restore his relationship with his wife, along with accept the fact that his children have grown older without him. Meanwhile, Homer, a sailor who had lost both hands during the war, finds out if his fiancee still wants to marry him despite his severe disability.

This movie is incredibly interesting! I have never seen a film that depicts the readjustment challenges that veterans face after a war, and I found this one quite eye-opening. All of the stories are so touching, and made me think about how I would cope if any of the instances were to happen in my life. The three main characters are compelling, and all of them give a contrasting yet poignant account of their return. The film also beautifully depicts how underwhelming finally coming back home can feel. Each veteran had an idealized vision of their homecoming, something to look forward to while they were away, but none of these expectations were ultimately met. Their families had changed drastically while they were gone, reiterating the fact that after something as impacting as war, things are never quite the same again. The veterans avoided this new reality by clinging to each other, and holding on to what they had left of war. Fortunately, though I won't spoil anything, each vet finds that there is a way to be happy again, though not in any conventional sense.

I was quite impressed by this film. The acting is excellent and the storyline is both touching and dark, as it makes a bold statement about war and its everlasting effects. I give the movie a rating of 7.6/10.

Characters: 7.7/10
Acting: 7.9/10
Storyline: 7.8/10
Entertainment Value: 7.5/10
Immediate Rating: 7.6/10

Total Score: 38.5/50

No comments:

Post a Comment