Wednesday, May 15, 2013

#205. Let the Right One In

"I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time."

Oscar, a bullied and neglected twelve year old, finds companionship and falls in love with his neighbor Eli. Coincidentally, while Oscar is hungry for revenge on his foes, Eli is thirsty for blood.

The more I reflect on this movie, the more I appreciate it. It's a Swedish film, and I'm not one to enjoy reading subtitles by any means, but everything about it was so interesting that I completely forgot about the language difference. I also don't much like movies about vampires, but again, this one was different. It gave me a really odd feeling while I was watching it though, probably because its main themes are romance and horror, and there was so much intimacy as well as gore involving two children.

The relationship between Oscar and Eli is somewhat disturbing, but beautiful. The two young outcasts, who have both been damaged in their lives in different ways, manage to find love within each other and display it in such a thought provoking way. Kåre Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson have so much chemistry together, and both demonstrate an acting ability far beyond their years.

Though there were a few scenes that were so gruesome they made me cringe with disgust, I admire this film's originality, and it's one that I don't think I'll forget for a longtime. My immediate score is a 7.3/10.

Characters: 6.8/10
Acting: 7.5/10
Storyline: 7.8/10
Entertainment Value: 8/10
Immediate Rating: 7.3/10

Total Score: 37.4/50

No comments:

Post a Comment