Monday, May 27, 2013

#204. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

"My diving bell has dragged you down to the bottom of the sea, with me."

A man who is paralyzed everywhere on his body except for his left eye manages to write a book, meanwhile reflecting on the life he had before his stroke.

This is what I'd like to call an eye-opening film. It's a true story about a man who literally feels trapped in his own body, and through its depressing nature, made me appreciate everything I have in my own life. It's not exactly inspiring like the synopsis would make it seem. It's an extremely realistic account of what life would be like to be paralyzed to an extensive degree from the eyes (or eye, I should state) of a cynic.

Jean-Do, the film's main character and hopeless invalid, has a forlorn attitude of his circumstance from the very beginning of his stay at the hospital. Even though his outlook considerably lightens when he begins comprising his book, it doesn't take away from the fact that he feels indefinitely imprisoned, and the words he wants to convey are excruciatingly written by a hospital speech therapist through a kind of Morse code Jean Do must do by blinking his left eye. Most of the movie's scenes are filmed from his perspective, as you hear everything he is thinking but is unable to say due to his condition. This gives a true representation of the darkness that overtakes one's life when faced with such an inexorable adversity.

I found this movie intriguing, and the French subtitles didn't take anything away from it, as I barely realized they were even there. My immediate rating is a 7.9/10.

Characters: 6.9/10
Acting: 7.7/10
Storyline: 8.2/10
Entertainment Value: 7.5/10
Immediate Rating: 7.9/10

Total Score: 38.2/50

No comments:

Post a Comment