Tuesday, August 10, 2010

#233. Barry Lyndon


"I'm not sorry. And I'll not apologize. And I'd as soon go to Dublin as to hell." 

Set in the eighteenth century, Irishman Redmond Barry travels from a small village in Ireland to Dublin after killing a man in a duel. He ventures through his life as a soldier in the British army, then in the Prussian army, and then as a professional gambler. He then meets a wealthy lady named Lady Lyndon and marries her in England. His name is changed to Barry Lyndon, and he plans to acquire her fortune as well as gain his own importance. 

After reading a lot of reviews that said this movie was boring, I wasn't too excited too see it, especially considering its three hours in length. But I found myself being very pleasantly surprised while watching it. I wasn't bored at all through out the whole movie; I actually thought it was entertaining. In some ways though, I felt the plot was kind of pointless. Some events were unnecessary, as well as a few of the characters. I don't even think I had a favorite one. I thought the main character, Barry Lyndon, was interesting though not exactly likable, and the others were just a bit dull. Thankfully though, there were recognizable characters unlike the last movie I watched.

The movie overall wasn't bad at all. There were some really compelling scenes as well as gorgeous landscapes captured through out the film. I'll give it an immediate rating of 7.

Characters: 6.8/10
Acting: 7.3/10
Storyline: 6.7/10
Entertainment Value: 6.4/10
Immediate Rating: 7/10

Total Score: 34.2/50

No comments:

Post a Comment