Saturday, August 5, 2017

#184. The Princess Bride

“As you wish.“

A grandfather reads a book to his sick grandson called the Princess Bride, a fairytale, adventure, love story that takes place in a mythical world, abundant with themes comparable to the most authentic human experience.

I am SO happy that I got another chance to watch this movie! It's just perfect. It has flawlessly cast actors, romance, horror, action, comedy, incredibly intelligent dialogue, the list goes on. All in the creative context of a story read by grandfather to grandson, honoring its original medium, a novel. What an adventure. I don't even usually like fantasy movies, but The Princess Bride is in a class of its own. 

The characters are fantastic; I have to give special props to Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin), Fezzik (Andre the Giant), Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), and Westley (Cary Elwes). They compliment each other in such an ideal way, and each offer their own developed perspective on their motives, ethics, and loyalty. Such great chemistry. Not to mention, Westley is dreamy as hell. So romantic and handsome, with all the qualities for men to aspire to have and women to desire in a perfect partner.

Man, it's hard to even find something to criticize. Since it's been about 10 years since I've last seen this film, I figured I would have come up with something more insightful to say on this viewing, but it's just as magical as I remember. The fantastical scenery, how it pulls on the heart strings as well as makes the heart rush, and quotes that stay with you forever:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

“Inconceivable!”
“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

“There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.”

“MAWAGE!!!”

“Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”

It successfully brought me right back to my childhood. Another Rob Reiner masterpiece. 9.5/10 is my immediate rating.

Characters: 9.5/10
Acting: 9.2/10
Storyline: 9.8/10
Entertainment Value: 9.8/10
Immediate Rating: 9.5/10

Total Score: 47.8/50

No comments:

Post a Comment