Monday, January 2, 2012

#217. Rope


“The good Americans usually die young on the battlefield, don't they? Well, the Davids of this world merely occupy space, which is why he was the perfect victim for the perfect murder.”

Two young men choke one of their friends to death with a rope because they find him surpassingly inferior to themselves. They refer to their plan as the “perfect murder” and throw a party to prove it, hiding his body under the guest dinner table.

When I first looked up this movie, I was disappointed to find that I would have to watch something from 1948 (I seem to never be in the mood for extremely old movies), but that disappointment quickly faded when I saw that Hitchcock directed it. His movies have always sparked an interest in me, and I feel that they really do stand the test of time. The concept of the film is great, and I was hanging on the edge of my seat then whole time, trying to figure out if the two men would get caught or not.

Though I thought the minor characters were a bit boring, I loved Brandon (John Dall) and Phillip (Farley Granger). Brandon was probably my favorite character, because his arrogance progressively increased the suspense throughout the movie as he gave more and more hints of David’s murder. Farley Granger did a great job also as conscience ridden Phillip, Brandon’s foil. Though this film isn’t life changing, it’s still a good watch. My immediate rating is a 7/10.

Characters: 6.9/10
Acting: 6.8/10
Storyline: 6.9/10
Entertainment Value: 7/10
Immediate Rating: 7/10

Total Score: 34.6/50

No comments:

Post a Comment