Thursday, January 5, 2012

#214. Network


"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

A failing television network resorts to desperate measures when they exploit a deranged newscaster for ratings.

I really enjoyed watching Network. I absolutely love the concept, and I think it's interesting how it has actually proved true over time. The mindless television watchers in the film remind me of people today, and how we will eat up any explicit and overly dramatic show that comes on TV.

The characters in the film were all dynamic and interesting, and I thought Faye Dunaway was especially fantastic. She played a completely different character than Bonnie in Bonnie and Clyde, and proved her versatility. I also loved Beatrice Straight's performance as Louise Schumacher in the scene where Max admits his infidelity. I could hear the pain in her voice and see the hurt in her eyes as the anguished wife on the other side of an affair, almost like it had really happened to her. It was an extremely powerful scene, and brought a different aspect to the film than expected.

My favorite attribute of this film was its realism. From the selfish intentions of the TV network to the not-so-perfect love affair between Diana and Max, nothing was glamorized. It was an entertaining and enlightening watch, and I give it a 7.4/10. 

Characters: 7.3/10
Acting: 7.5/10
Storyline: 7.5/10
Entertainment Value: 7.6/10
Immediate Rating: 7.4/10

Total Score: 37.3/50

No comments:

Post a Comment