Thursday, May 3, 2012

#208. Letters from Iwo Jima

"For our homeland. Until the very last man. Our duty is to stop the enemy right here. Do not expect to return home alive."

Told from Japan's perspective, this film recounts the events of the Battle of Iwo Jima during World War II. Though severely outnumbered, the Japanese stop at nothing for the pride of their country and emperor.

I was very impressed by this movie. I never seem to enjoy war films very much, but I found this one to be an exception. It provides a different perspective on the second World War from the side of the Japanese, and holds the perfect amount of emotional and dramatic moments. Clint Eastwood is an extremely talented director, and this film, if nothing else, certainly proves that.

Whether this movie is completely historically accurate or not, I was very intrigued by the portrayal of the Japanese people. Their devotion to their country is simply incredible, and their continuous decision to proceed with fighting and die instead of surrendering to an inevitable loss is astounding, and something that I don't think I could ever understand. The stories of the characters are heartbreaking and engaging, and though I'm an American, I found myself not wanting any person from the side of the Japanese harmed. This film wonderfully executes the concept that all soldiers are essentially people, and the act of war is simply unnecessary and inhumane.

The duration of this movie is two and a half hours long, but it honestly didn't feel like it. The plot drew me in from beginning to end, and I found the fresh perspective fascinating. This film is no doubt a must-see. My immediate rating is a 7.8.

Characters: 7.1/10
Acting: 7.5/10
Storyline: 8/10
Entertainment Value: 7.9/10
Immediate Rating: 7.8/10

Total Score: 38.3/50

No comments:

Post a Comment