Saturday, February 18, 2012

#212. Mystic River


"Sometimes I think, I think all three of us got in that car... "

Three men who were childhood friends reunite when one's daughter is murdered. As the thrilling mystery progresses, the realization occurs that not everything is quite what it seems.

I was looking forward to seeing this movie prior to watching it, and I wasn't the least bit disappointed. Clint Eastwood did an amazing job as the director (as always), and the actors were fantastic! The plot was extremely interesting as well and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire film. I was intrigued by not only the mystery the movie held, but the psychological aspect. We see how much a traumatic childhood event can impact someone's mindset with the captivating performance of Tim Robbins, who plays the mentally unstable Dave Boyle. Sean Penn, who acted as the grieving father Jimmy Markum, demonstrated the emotional tole of losing a child, almost as if he had been through the experience himself. And of course, Kevin Bacon, who plays detective Sean Devine, kept the suspense intact with trying to uncover the storyline's mystery. These three powerhouse actors were the highlight of the film for me.

What I also liked about the film is its subtle symbolism, and how it didn't exactly give everything away. You're still left with questions by the end of it, but judging the situation for yourself makes it that more interesting. Because of the wonderful acting and the exciting plot, my immediate rating is a 7.9/10.

Characters: 8/10
Acting: 8.5/10
Storyline: 7.8/10
Entertainment Value: 8/10
Immediate Rating: 7.9/10

Total Score: 40.2/50

No comments:

Post a Comment